I think we all deserve a treat at the moment, so why don’t you bring those special holiday vibes into your home with this very simple recipe for fresh and zingy lobster tacos. I know that the price of lobster can be a prohibitive factor for us, which is why it’s only an occasional treat, but we can now buy raw frozen lobster tails from most supermarkets (look for the deals) which is a real game changer. However, if you prefer, the lobster can be swapped out for prawns, and you will still have a delicious taco. We love seeing what you create at home, so please tag us in your posts on Twitter or Instagram @HaynesGourmet
Serves 2 people
- 4 small lobster tails
- 4 small tortillas (15cm)
- 1 mango (or equivalent of frozen mango cubes)
- 1/2 sweet white onion (or red onion)
- 1 tbsp of chopped Haynes Gourmet Candied Jalapeño Red Rings
- 1 lime
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/2 tsp chipotle paste
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- If you have frozen lobster tails, defrost them overnight in the fridge.
- When you are ready to cook, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, and keep it on a simmer.
- Heat a dry pan for your tortillas on a low/medium heat. We will get back to those.
FOR THE SALSA & CHIPOTLE MAYO:
- Dice the mango* and onion into similar-sized small cubes (approx. 5mm), chop the Candied Jalapeño Red Rings and place them all into a small bowl. Add a pinch of salt and squeeze of lime juice to taste and set aside.
- In another small bowl, mix the mayonnaise and chipotle paste. Set aside.
FOR THE LOBSTER**:
- Add your whole uncut lobster tails to simmering water and cook for approximately one minute per ounce.
- Once cooked take them out of the water to drain and cool enough to handle.
- Cut down the middle of the shell with scissors (belly side is softer), and carefully remove the meat.
- Remove the digestive tract and cut into decent size chunks.
FOR THE TORTILLAS:
- Heat your tortillas in the dry pan until they are at your required temperature.
BUILD A GREAT TACO:
- Place your tortillas on a plate, place the lobster chunks in the middle, spoon over the fresh mango salsa, and drizzle on the chipotle mayo.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of fresh cut coriander and a wedge of lime.