Bacon, Balsamic Onion & Strawberry Jam Burger Recipe
At Haynes Gourmet, we are no stranger to burgers, but I wanted to bring you something a little different.
I know what you’re thinking. Strawberry jam on a burger?! It’s probably not the first combination you think of, but this recipe may well change your mind. Bold statements aside, the jalapeño warmth and the acidity from the balsamic vinegar, pairs brilliantly with the strawberry, as does the pork sausage meat. The smoky bacon edges the sweetness back, and gherkins cut through for a sweet and sharp finish. So if you or your family love burgers, this recipe is a real winner* (*technically it has won nothing yet, except my heart).
(for 2 burgers)
4 good quality pork sausages (2 per patty)
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1/2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
1/2 tbsp rapeseed oil
1 tsp butter
6 rashers smoked streaky bacon
2 heaped tsp Haynes Gourmet Candied Jalapeño Strawberry Jam
4 slices American cheese
10 gherkin slices
2 burger buns
1. Skin the sausages and form two into a patty shape. Wet your fingers to smooth the outside and put in the fridge to firm up for 20 minutes.
2. In a cold pan, add the six rashers of bacon. Heat slowly and cook the bacon until the fat has rendered and is crispy. Remove the bacon.
3. Into the bacon pan, add the butter and sliced onion and cook for around 20 minutes. Add the balsamic vinegar towards the end. Stir and season to taste.
4. Add rapeseed oil to a clean pan and fry the sausage patties evenly until completely cooked through.
5. Turn the heat down, and place two slices of cheese on each patty. Carefully add a small amount of water to the pan, close with a lid and steam until the cheese has melted.
6. Lightly toast the buns and assemble the burger and serve.
7. Bun - mayo - gherkins - patty - cheese - JAM - Onions - bacon - mayo - bun.